Cool Stuff To Think About



You have reached The Blog. I am glad you're here. Grab a cup of coffee, browse around, leave me a comment. Hopefully you'll find lots of cool stuff to think about and even better stuff to look at.

Please respect the art and my livelihood- do not right click and save anything from this blog. It is a violation of copyright laws and carries a fine of $150,000. Crazy huh? Learn more about copyright laws here: www.copyright.gov

Sunday, February 24, 2008

From the Heart of an American Soldier

This is our friend, SFC Alan Cotton. He is serving his third month of a twelve month tour in Iraq, where he is training Iraqi soldiers. I told him I wanted to do a little blurb about him on my blog and asked him if we wouldn't mind sending me a few Alan words of wisdom that he might like to share with the world. I asked him because he is one of those people that inspire me. He is a Dad of two gorgeous little girls, Allee and Jenna, and the husband of my dear friend Stacy, who I admire as much. They live just outside of Austin Texas, which seems light years away from us here in New Hampshire, though not as far away as Iraq is I suppose!



So, Alan obliged my request and gave me this tidbit of inspiration and a short lesson in simple mathematics. (Well, maybe not simple.) Here you go...



"Dear Alli,

I have thought for a few days about what information I have to share with other people. And the truth is I have nothing to offer... other then myself! (Doesn't this sound familiar?) In fact I'm not sure if I'm the right one at all.



For starters Proverbs 27:17 always makes me want to be a better person, Christian, soldier, man, father and husband. I share this verse as often as I can, not by my words but by my actions. Most importantly I have found that for this verse to fully work on you the person you must have at least three people in your life. This will ensure you become the best person GOD wants you to be.



First, everyone needs someone that they look up to in life. When you communicate with this one person they always give you something profound and new to work on. This one person is never short on words and gives the best advice both directly and indirectly to you. There counsel is always spot on. For me it is my Pastor Paul Kemp. Thank you Paul.



Secondly, you need someone that you are equal to in life. This person can be your best friend, your spouse, anyone that you can share ideas and thoughts with. This one person also doesn't have any problem telling you how bad your ideas really are and that your "great ideas" are weak at best. For me this person changes frequently, however most of the time it is my wife Stacy Cotton. Since I have been deployed my equal to has been Captain Joe Hess. As far as my great ideas go.... well they won't work unless ' I ' do.



Lastly, you need to find someone to mentor. Someone that perhaps looks up to you as a role model or someone you seek out to make better. My children fall into this category. I sought my own daughters out to mentor because I love them and I don't want them to make the same mistakes I have made. Allee and Jenna was just a starting point. My daughters will be someone whom I chose to mentor daily not as a daddy or a father. It's more like being a "Christian Tour Guide" for life and it's expectations life has on us as people. The real testament of who God wants you to be is a when someone seeks you out. You know the, "ONE." ....we don't have time for. The one you see clearly needs helps. The one who is hurting or in need. It has been my experiance that this person will come to you when you least expect it.



Here are some simple rules that apply to your three people when challenged. They are also rules in life that just simply work. "If you tell the truth you'll never have to remember anything." Mark Twain. I lie the loudest when I lie to myself. At one point in my life I lived as though the 10 commandments were multiple choice. Be thankful for how you grew up, even if it wasn't the most pleasant experiance. Get over yourself! Life isn't about looking back or waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain. "You learn more from your failures then any single success." Senior Drill Sergeant Cotton. During a difficult time in my life, Stacy got a Hallmark Card that stated, "Those who achieve success are those who have a dream and make it come true." Perhaps, I didn't reach my own personal goal and the hurt of my own failure defined my true character. The second part to that is, if I want my dreams to come true, I mustn't over sleep. The quality of my life depends on the quality of my thoughts. (Alli's emphasis- I couldn't resist- this is just SO true!!!)



Finally, the key is to listen to other people. You'll find your three people and they will multiply. But really focus on your, THREE. I like to think of them as the three wise men. My three people have mulipled a few times just because of some of the jobs I have done in the Army. Here is some simple math that proves my scientific theory why you need to at least three people in your life to become better. 3+3= 6 Six, the age of my youngest daughter Jenna. She has 5 letters in her name. 5+3= 8 Eight, the amount of sleep doctors recommend we have in one night. 8+3= 11 Eleven, the age of my oldest daughter Allee who just placed second in a science fair in Austin Texas. 11x3= 33 Just a random number to most people, even to me! BUT, if you subtract three from thirty three twice you get the number 27. Now remember the number 27. And then if you divided 27 by 3 you would get 9. At age nine I found myself in some very bad situations that caused me to pray. 9+3= 12 The number twelve. What a wonderful number! In fact my family loves it because when 12 months are up I can return home from Iraq. 12+3= 15 Most soldiers are on a 15 month deployment and I find if very difficult to find the right words to share with them, mainly because I am on a 12 month deployment. When you add three to fifteen you get 18 every single time. 15+3= 18, 15+3= 18, 15+3= 18. And I'm not real sure why?



At the beginning of my math problem I jumped from six to five. Discounting the multiple of three theme. And if your a math geniuses you caught that when I counted out how many letters that are in my daughters name which is five that I didn't use the number six. I like knowing that it only takes one to change things. In fact you can also subtract one from eighteen you'll get seventeen every time. Now remember the number 17. The truth of the matter is... it does only take, "ONE." The one person who died on the cross for my sin. The one person I chose to write to and email to tonight. The one person in fact is YOU. You are that one person that can make a difference in someone's life.



Back to the two numbers I asked you to remember. Twenty Seven and Seventeen. (27:17) And if you were listening, I stated that my favorite verse in the Bible is Proverbs 27:17. When I am in prayer I always ask, "GOD, I want you to be more inside of me then of myself." It is never too late to become the one with God. Be the ONE God has made you to be. Isn't it funny that is only takes one.



Alli, Thank you for reminding me that I am a Christian.

Alan Cotton"

Alan, You rock!

Thank you for this, I love you, Man! :)

Feel free to leave Alan any words of thanks for his sacrifice for freedom and the spread of democracy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post today!!
May God bless your friend, Alan and his family!!
To God be the glory.......
Blessings-
Shelly

Jenny B said...

Just beautiful, we all need to be more thankful!